Creating custom contact attributes can greatly enhance the effectiveness of your marketing and communication efforts. By defining and tracking specific attributes of your contacts, such as their personal information and interests, you can tailor your messaging to resonate better with them.
Good to know
- To learn more about contact attributes and how you can use them to create personalized experiences for your contacts, check our dedicated article About contact attributes.
- You can create up to 200 contact attributes per Brevo account.
- Attribute names should not be longer than 50 characters.
- Attribute names should only contain alphanumeric and underscore characters. They cannot start with a number or a special character.
What type of contact attributes can I create?
5 types of contact attributes can be created in Brevo: text, date, number, category, and boolean.
Text-type attributes store simple textual values, such as the email address or the last name of a contact.
Date-type attributes store date values, such as the date of birth of a contact.
Contact attributes support the following date formats:
The date format selected in the default settings of your Brevo account determines the correct date format to use. Note that YYYY-MM-DD will be accepted regardless of the date format selected in your account settings.
Number-type attributes store number values written in decimals, such as a phone number.
Category-type attributes store values from a set of possible values, such as a list of countries, where each value corresponds to a number.
For example, if you want to store information about the country your contacts live in, you can create a category-type attribute named COUNTRY and define possible values as "France", "Spain", "Germany", etc. The attribute COUNTRY of each contact will then only contain one value among the ones you specified.
In a contact import file, only include the number of the value. For example, you could write:
- 1 if the COUNTRY attribute is "France".
- 2 if the COUNTRY attribute is "Spain".
- 3 is the COUNTRY attribute is "Germany".
Boolean-type attributes store values with a Yes/No format, such as whether a contact has been assigned an owner.
Create a custom contact attribute
To create a custom contact attribute:
- Go to Contacts > Settings > Contact attributes.
- Under the Normal Attributes tab, click + Add a new attribute at the bottom of the page.
- Give a name to your contact attribute.
- Select the type of contact attribute you want to create.
- (Optional) If you select a Category-type attribute, click + Add and enter each value next to a number.
- Click OK.
Your custom contact attribute has been created.
Edit a contact attribute
Attributes’ names and types cannot be edited.
However, it is possible to edit the different categories included in a Category attribute by clicking the gear icon ⚙️:
Delete a contact attribute
To delete a contact attribute, click the cross icon ✖️:
⏩ What's next?
- Customize your emails using contact attributes
- Personalize your SMS messages with contact attributes
- Show or hide blocks based on contact attributes
- Pre-populate a form in a landing page with contact attributes
🤔 Have a question?
💬 Was this article helpful?
Thank you! Your feedback helps us improve this article for everyone.