In this article, we will explain how to integrate Google Analytics with your Brevo account to identify and monitor the email campaigns that refer traffic to your website.
Google Analytics is the most widely used web analytics service for tracking and reporting website traffic. By adding parameters to the URLs in your email campaigns, Brevo allows you to collect information about the overall efficacy of those campaigns, and also understand where the campaigns are more effective.
Before you start
To get information about your email campaigns in Google Analytics, ensure you are already monitoring your website on your Google Analytics account and add the link to your website in your email campaigns and templates. To learn how to monitor your website, check Google Analytics Help Center.
How does it work?
After integrating Google Analytics with your Brevo account, Brevo will automatically add tracking terms recognized by Google Analytics to the links in your email campaigns. These tracking terms are referred to as "parameters" and add several unique types of information to your links to identify which campaigns perform the best.
Brevo automatically assigns the following parameters to the links in your email campaigns:
- UTM_Source: "brevo"
- UTM_Medium: "email"
- UTM_Campaign: "name_of_your_campaign"
- (Optional) UTM_ID: "id_of_your_campaign"
The UTM_ID parameter is an optional parameter you can activate from the Advanced settings when creating a campaign or template.
Integrate Google Analytics with your Brevo account
In Brevo, you can enable Google Analytics and track the links to your website for all your email campaigns and templates, or specific email campaigns and templates only.
To enable Google Analytics for all your email campaigns and templates:
- In your Brevo account, go to Campaigns > Settings.
- Under Google Analytics & Social, click Configure.
- Enable the Activate Google Analytics Tracking option.
- (Optional) Enable the UTM_ID: ID_OF_YOUR_CAMPAIGN option to activate your campaign ID as an optional UTM parameter for Google Analytics.
- Click Save.
Now, every time you send an email campaign that contains a link to your website, Google Analytics will track its results.
To enable Google Analytics for a specific email campaign or template that contains a link to your website:
- When creating an email campaign, access the Additional settings at the very bottom of your screen.
- Click Edit settings.
- In the Sending and Tracking section, enable the Activate Google Analytics tracking option.
- (Optional) By default, the UTM Campaign Value is the name of your campaign. You can override it to customize your UTM Campaign Value.
- (Optional) Check the box to activate the UTM ID as an optional parameter for Google Analytics.
- Click Save.
Once you send this email campaign, Google Analytics will track its results.
Monitor your Google Analytics results
After your email campaigns are delivered, you can start monitoring your Google Analytics results to view how many people clicked through from your email campaign to your website:
- Log into your Google Analytics account.
- Go to Reports > Acquisition > Traffic Acquisition.
- Sort your results by clicking the Session default channel group dropdown and selecting the desired dimension:
- For UTM_Source, select Session source and look for "brevo".
- For UTM_Medium, select Session medium and look for "email".
- For UTM_Campaign, select Session campaign and look for the name of your campaign.
- For UTM_ID, select Session campaign id and look for the ID of your campaign.